I love games, quite possibly too much. It's fun to sit down and have a relaxing evening killing mother fuckers with a big ass axe in beautiful graphics. I will admit though I've grown spoiled when it comes to games, I have preferences, requirements and judgments which are all rather harsh. For simplicity I will refer to my gaming requirements and needs as laws.
Law 1, the law of realism.
I do not like to be put in a situation where I can't get into a game because my main character is exceedingly over-powered, that is to say that if I haven't put a fair amount of work into this character it shouldn't be able to decimate large groups with ease. As of now I am playing Two Worlds 2, and I've had to make about four tactical retreats so far to avoid being mauled by groups. I like that, make me run now and again, feeling like a god isn't what games are about - at least not games I play.
Law 2, the law of stability.
A game should not be released if it plays like a beta. Programmers are getting lazy these days as acclaim and brand-loyalty allows them to grow fat. I can accept small bugs like visual tearing or something that effects gameplay minimally (as long as there's a work around) but I am not ok with things like freezing, black screens, and quests which you are unable to complete due to a piece of the game having been forgetfully left out. My point being: check your shit, be a little mindful of the product you're selling to your loving fan base.
Law 3, the law of FUCKING MULTIPLAYER.
I like multiplayer gaming as much as the next guy, but basing a game on the multiplayer content is simply ignorant. In doing such a thing you lose the interest of the introverted customer base, seeing as not everyone wants to listen to a ten year old bitch about how you got a head shot on him. Sorry kids, if you can't take the heat get out of the kitchen.
Law 4, the law of story.
This law is less important to me, but is still important enough to be included in a choice on whether to purchase a game. Lore is important when you're bringing up technology whose basis has not been touched upon by reality. If you've got a laser gun in your game, but don't explain some basic principals on how it works I'm gonna fumigate. Hardcore gamers love lore, and they love to understand the concepts of the tools and techniques they use to be the hard asses they tend to be in the gaming world. Oh and of course the obvious thing, don't leave holes in the story - that's just god damn annoying.
It's not hard to please me as far as games go, assuming the developers did a fair job of implementing their concepts and ideals. Reading this, it looks like I'm demanding an awful lot but really all I'm asking for is a product worth looking at. These days we have the technology and the knowledge base to make better products than previously thought possible - use your tools and intellect. It's sad that in the year 2011 my all time favorite game came out in America for the console in 2004, up the ante and impress me baby.
On that note I will end my informative polite rant, after all it's not nice to gripe for long periods of time.
No comments:
Post a Comment